BULGARIAN MOUNTAIN HIKING TRIP WITH INSTAGRAM STAR, ADVENTURER_RED

Mount Vitosha with huge clouds forming at the top of the mountain!

Well what can I say. I went mountain hiking for the very first time with Adventurer_Red who you can follow on Instagram! It was a challenge but the reward felt amazing! I have climbed a mountain before in Scotland when I was 8-years-old and a couple of peaks in the Lake District but nothing as big as Mount Vitosha, situated just on the outskirts of the capital city of Sofia. 

Experienced mountain hikers may say Mount Vitosha is nothing compared to some of the world's biggest mountains such as the Himalayas but to me this was a challenge that I accomplished for the first time and I was very grateful to join an awesome hiking group that were really kind and patient towards me as I couldn't keep up with the pace! The leaders kindly gave me their trekking poles and offered to carry my jacket and water bottle. I felt a bit embarrassed at first but then I embraced the event as I conquered Mount Vitosha! 

Pebbled pathway which makes it easier for hikers to trek up and down the mountain so that it is visible


I physically didn't prepare for the huge hike so I felt a bit stiff the next day. On the way up the mountain it was intense on my legs plus it was really warm but it was rewarding as we hiked down and came across picturesque views. 

As we were halfway into the trek we had a short break on a cliff which had a spectacular view of Sofia! I was really mesmerized by the view. This felt like an achievement and I was determined to reach the final destination. When we commenced into the final stages of the trek it was a bit more easier as the climate cooled down and the climb wasn't as steep as the bottom of the mountain. 

View of Sofia

We stopped at Boyana Waterfall which is the biggest waterfall in Mount Vitosha. We staggered up this mountain by following a leading path which has directions along the way so it is easier for tourists to reach the bottom! 

Boyana Waterfall

The group took many pictures (yes and selfies of course) of the waterfall and just admired the essence of the natural beauty which surrounded us! I felt that inner peace! Once we were all ready and had a rest it was time for us to go back down! On the way down there was a huge downpour of rain with lightning and thunder! It was really exciting! I will treasure this moment years to come! I walked down the slippery streams and pebbles! The tour guide helped a few of us along the way and I didn't want to let the team down so I kept up with the pace. The team broke up into halves as it was pouring down! 

Stunning Lake surrounded by greenery!

Once we reached the bottom of Mount Vitosha the hiking tour had the choice to visit Boyana Church situated at the bottom which is surrounded by a spectacular garden with many trees! This church was registered in 1979 on the UNESCO World Heritage list and Orthodox Church which was built in the medieval period under the second Bulgarian Empire.

Boyana Church

Garden which surrounds Boyana Church

Garden full of flowers outside Boyana Church

Overall this hiking trip has opened up my eyes and made me realise that there is a whole world out there to explore which has given me inspiration and a sense of peace and tranquility! I am really excited about the future and I am even more determined to keep fit and stay active when it involves outdoor sports! I was really grateful for the tour guides as they are great team leaders and used a lot of their energy walking up and down the mountains as they checked up on everyone's progress when some of us couldn't keep up with the pace! So I would like to say a big thank you to the group  including my friend, Adventurer Red who found this trek! I can officially say that I have ticked of one of the boxes on my 'to do' list!

The Hiking Crew  

Comments

Popular Posts